Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Memories of Nanny (Grandmother Emma Daisy Locke Braswell) Brothers and Sisters


On many occasions my family and I would go to Laurel Mississippi and visit relatives from both sides of my parents families. The stories in this paper will be about my
Dad's Mom's brothers and sisters. Her name was Emma Daisy Locke Braswell. She was born December 29 1891 She had 9 brothers and sisters. I remember some of them and this history is going to tell some of my memories of them and the time I spent with them.
I will go down the list by age of what I remember. The oldest was Alice and I know nothing of her. Next in line is Aunt Maud. She was married to Mallie Mulligan. I remember going out to her place way out in the boonies and her cooking for us and having a great time running around and playing with her chickens. Then my grandmother was next in line born in 1891. Next came Homer born in 1892. He had a place in town and we would go and visit him and his wife. His wife was Anna and she was a fantastic cook. I don't know why I remember that but, I do. Then the next sister was Laura and she was married to Alan Boyd. I only remember she died very young. Aunt Lula was a sweet little lady that lived alone out in the country and she was blind. But, she took care of herself and was a wonderful woman. Emma's next brother was Martin Van Buren Locke and he was married to Hallie Cagle. I don't remember anything about him but met one of his descendents at a Williamson family reunion. Chester Locke was next and married to Annis Tucker. They had a huge farm outside of Laurel and we had a great time when we went out there. One story I remember so well was when we went out and he asked if Jimmy, my brother, and I would like to shoot his twelve gage shotgun. They went ahead and for some reason I followed a little later. When I reached the fence the cows were standing by the fence and I couldn't get them to move. I finally crawled under the fence and hit the cow on the head and she moved and I was able to reach everyone and fire the shotgun. Of course, being only nine or ten it knocked me on my butt. I always liked visiting Uncle Chester and Aunt Annis. Aunt Carrie was married to Lamar Webb. They were a sweet couple and lived in a cute home in Laurel. Aunt Carrie was another great cook and was a kind soul. Aunt Bessie was married to Bill Hall. I don't remember much except she was kind and always had cookies. They had goats and chickens and lived outside of Laurel.

No comments:

Post a Comment