Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Trains to Grandma Guy's

                              TRAIN TRIPS TO GRANDMA GUY


My father, James Carl Braswell,Sr. worked for the railroad when I was growing up.  So, every summer my brother, Jimmy, and I got on a train in Portsmouth, Virginia or Richmond, Virginia and rode all the way to Laurel, Mississippi. It was a fun trip and we were free to play on the train. The train was the Silver Star, one of the Seaboard Airline Railroads trains.
I remember when Daddy put us on the train he would tell the Conductor to watch over us and he did. We had the run of the train. I remember being able to go into the Engine and being allowed to pull the chain to sound the horn when we came to a crossing. And being able to go in the caboose and ride with the Conductors.
Once we arrived in Laurel Grandma Guy or Uncle Alston would pick us up and we had the summer to run and play with our cousins there. Unfortunately for me all of my cousins were boys. On both sides of  the family. All boys.
We were able to walk down the street and around the corner from my Grandmother's house and get a soda at the little store. We collected bottles and turned them in and used the money to buy the sodas. We were allowed to walk to the public swimming pool and go swimming without adults watching out for us.
Sometimes we would spend the day at Uncle Alston and Aunt Helen's house. There were rules there. We were not allowed to use the front door and could not go in the living room, EVER. It was off limits. I remember one time being there and I was outside playing and the boys disappeared so I went looking for them and when I couldn't find them I went to the front door and rang the bell. Aunt Helen opened the door and let me in but, told me never to come to the front door again.
I remember my cousins had weird food choices. Charlie loved french fries and had them for every meal. Breakfast, lunch, and supper. They ate whatever they wanted and Aunt Helen would cook them whatever they wanted for any meal. They ate whenever they wanted too and I always thought that was so cool. At home we ate what my Mother put on the table or we sat there until it was gone. The cousins had such freedom. At least I thought so at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment