Friday, October 25, 2013

My Sister and the President

When my sister, Mary Jo Braswell , was a young child she and my parents lived in Washington, D.C.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President of the United States when my parents moved to Washington 
and my sister was young. My mother would take her for walks to a park in D.C. and would pass the White House on their way. My mother and father both worked for the government and knew a Gate Guard at the
White House. Sometimes my mother would stop and chat with him on her walk with my sister. During their conversations Mary Jo would play on the lawn. 
One day when my mother walked by the guard called her over and said that the President wanted the little curly haired girl to play as often as she liked on the lawn. So, after that my mother just walked as far as the White House and stopped going to the park. Occasionally, she would look up and see President Roosevelt in an upstairs window watching Mary Jo play on the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment